Dawn Punjab Bureau / Chandigarh : Hon’ble Governor of Punjab cum Administrator U.T., Chandigarh held a meeting at U.T. Secretariat today in the presence of by Sh. Dharam Pal, IAS Adviser to the Administrator, Sh. Arun Gupta, IAS Principal Secretary Home, Sh. Sanjay Beniwal, IPS, DGP, Sh. Omvir Singh, IPS, DIG, Sh. Mandip Singh Brar, IAS, Dy. Commissioner, Sh. Kuldeep Singh Chahal, IPS, SSP, Ms. Manisha Chaudhary, IPS, SSP/Trf & Sec.
The Administrator reviewed the prevailing situations in Chandigarh and effective steps required to the taken to ensure public safety and order. The following decisions have been taken: –
1. While in democracy every citizen has a right to lawful and peaceful protest, no unlawful activity shall be tolerated except peaceful protests, rallies or demonstration only at earmarked place at Rally Ground Sector-25, Chandigarh. Strict action as per law will be taken against those who indulge in violence.
2. Chandigarh being the capital of Punjab and Haryana, it is also the joint responsibility of Punjab Police & Haryana Police to contain such protests, rallies, demonstrations etc. within their jurisdiction. In this regard, a joint meeting of Police Chiefs of tricity will be convened shortly to keep Chandigarh and tricity free from such incidents and to ensure better coordinated action against those who indulge in disturbing public peace.
3. In addition to strict enforcement of notification No.2/3/57-HIII(7) 2020/1175, dated 20/1/2020 of Transport Department, UT, Chandigarh, no Tractor-Trolley etc. will be permitted in any Rally, Protest or Demonstration within Chandigarh city and Police is directed to ensure that such vehicles are not allowed to join any protest.
4. The cases registered in the recent past are being investigated thoroughly and expeditiously. Strict action as per law will be taken against perpetrators who were found involved in unlawful/violent activities.
5. City Police is directed to ensure better co-ordination with all stake holders.